Re: PCI runtime PM issue on NEC xHCI host

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > And xHCI certainly shouldn't be affected by something happening to the
> > Ethernet controller.
>
> So what about the PCI bridges? If the PME event makes it from the
> device to the bridge (I have no idea what the signalling is), and the
> *bridge* does the PME handling, we do that
>
>                if (pci_dev->subordinate)
>                        pci_pme_wakeup_bus(pci_dev->subordinate);
>
> thing. I didn't look how recursive it is and just what it does, but it
> strikes me that depending on just how deep the PME event goes, it
> might explain the "any PME event causes ehci issues".

I don't think that's what the problem is, really.  All of the devices
in your box are PCI Express, aren't they?  Which means that there are
no _real_ bridges in there, only the fake ones representing ports.  In
which case they simply pass PME messages from devices to the root complex
(the signaling is in-band in that case and should be transparent to the ports).

> One thing that is special about the EHCI device is that we seem to use
> ACPI to manage the D0/D3 transition for it. Don't ask me why, but
> that's what the messages certainly imply. Maybe the "native PCI" stuff
> is smart enough to know that "Hey, there's no event for me, so I'll
> not do anything", but then the ehci/acpi interaction means that the
> ehci controllers get woken up for everything.
>
> But what do I know? Certainly not PCI PM crud.

For now I'm suspecting the BIOS.  We'll see. :-)

Thanks,
Rafael