Re: [REGRESSION] 527139d738d7 ("PCI/sysfs: Convert "rom" to static attribute")

On 17.12.21 23:49, Krzysztof Wilczyński wrote:
> Hi Ville,
>
> Thank you for letting us know, and sincere apologies for troubles!
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> Can you attach your complete "lspci -vv" output?  Also, which is the
>>> default device?  I think there's a "boot_vga" sysfs file that shows
>>> this.  "find /sys -name boot_vga | xargs grep ."
>>
>> All I have is Intel iGPUs so it's always 00:02.0.
>>
>> $ cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:02.0/boot_vga
>> 1
>> $ cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:02.0/rom
>> cat: '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:02.0/rom': No such file or directory
>>
>> I've attached the full lspci from my IVB laptop, but the problem
>> happens on every machine (with an iGPU at least).
>>
>> I presume with a discrete GPU it might not happen since they
>> actually have a real ROM.
>
> Admittedly, the automated testing I was running before the patch was released
> didn't catch this.  I primarily focused on trying to catch the race condition
> related to the ROM attribute creation.
>
> I need to look into how to properly address this problem as if we were to
> revert the ROM attribute changes, then we would introduce the race condition
> we've had back.
>
> Again, apologies for troubles this caused!

What's the status of this regression and getting it fixed? It looks like
there was no progress for quite a while. Could anyone please provide a
status update?

Ciao, Thorsten (wearing his 'Linux kernel regression tracker' hat)

P.S.: As a Linux kernel regression tracker I'm getting a lot of reports
on my table. I can only look briefly into most of them. Unfortunately
therefore I sometimes will get things wrong or miss something important.
I hope that's not the case here; if you think it is, don't hesitate to
tell me about it in a public reply, that's in everyone's interest.

BTW, I have no personal interest in this issue, which is tracked using
regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot
(https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/regzbot/). I'm only posting
this mail to get things rolling again and hence don't need to be CC on
all further activities wrt to this regression.

#regzbot poke