Re: Skipping IOV BARs in pci_enable_device()

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Ram Pai <linuxram@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Sounds like your BIOS/Firmware allocates conflicting memory resources to the
>> > SRIOV BARs.  There is code enabled recently in 3.1 kernel that tries to
>> > reallocate and resolve conflicts. Does that work for you?
>>
>> The BIOS/Firmware is pHyp :-)
>>
>> It does not allocate any resource for SR-IOV. It doesn't know about the
>> IOV BAR at all. And because it controls all resources allocated to the
>> partition, we cannot fix that up ourselves.
>>
>> We simply need to ignore the IOV BAR when enabling the device for
>> "normal" (ie non IOV) usage. We should only fail attempts at enabling
>> VFs.
>
> There is one other patch that makes SRIOV BARs optional. It will not enable those
> BARs unless there is enough non-conflicting resource available for it.
> git commit 2aceefcbd5a73059e5f52831817ec277e987440d
>
> Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

I don't think 2aceefcbd5 is the fix for this particular problem.  It
might make the symptom go away, but we will still be checking and
potentially requesting VF resources that are disabled.

In my opinion, when we enable the PF, with the VFs disabled, the VF
resources should not be involved at all.

Bjorn