Am 03.03.21 um 17:05 schrieb Andrey Grodzovsky:
Ping

Andrey

On 2021-03-02 12:48 p.m., Andrey Grodzovsky wrote:
Adding PCI mailing list per Bjorn's advise (sorry, skipped the address last time).

On 2021-03-02 12:22 p.m., Christian König wrote:
Hi Andrey,

Can you elaborate more why you need such a lock on a global level and not enough per driver (per device more specifically) local lock acquired in rescan_preapare (before BARs shuffling starts) and released in rescan_done (after BARs shuffling done) ?

because this adds inter device dependencies.

E.g. when we have device A, B and C and each is taking it's own lock we end up with 3 locks.

If those device have inter dependencies on their own, for example because of DMA-buf we will end up in quite a locking mess.

Apart from that if we don't always keep the order A, B, C but instead end up with A, C, B lockdep will certainly start to complain.

Regards,
Christian.

But as far as I understand those locks are agnostic to each other - each lock is taken only by it's respective device and not by others.

Well they should be agnostic to each other, but are they really? I mean we could have inter device lock dependencies because of DMA-buf or good knows what.

So I don't see deadlock danger here but, I do suspect lockdep might throw a false warning...

Yeah and disabling or ignoring the lockdep warning could cause problems because we don't see issues caused by inter device lock dependencies any more.

I just have the feeling that this would cause a lot of problems.

Christian.

Andrey