Re: /proc/iomem and /proc/ioports show 0 for address range

On 1/13/21 2:29 AM, Hinko Kocevar wrote:
> [I noticed this while working on PCI devices; not sure which kernel list would be best for this, though]
>
> I noticed that my system shows address range for iomem and ioports as all 0. Sometimes (after a power cycle) the addresses are proper, albeit I have not been able to see that in a while now, after performing numerous reboots in the last coupe of days.
>
> FWIW, I think the list of devices (names, count) looks the same in both cases. The system seems to work in both cases; at least I have not seen any complaints in kernel logs, OTOH, not sure what the error message would be.
>
> What may be the reason for not getting the proper addresses listed?

config STRICT_DEVMEM
	bool "Filter access to /dev/mem"

and

config IO_STRICT_DEVMEM
	bool "Filter I/O access to /dev/mem"

so what are your CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM and CONFIG_IO_STRICT_DEVMEM set to?

What do you see in /proc/iomem and /proc/ioports if you are admin/root?
That should be non-zero values.

> This likely poses any issues for userspace tools that would look at those /proc files, OTOH, I wonder if would kernel suffer in any way as well?

Yes, it could affect userspace.

--
~Randy
You can't do anything without having to do something else first.