libpci and pci utilities related newbie question

(May end up being repost due to rich text vs. plain text issues)

Hi,

I am working on an embedded system connected to a Linux PC host over
PCIe.  Right now, in the devel phase, I often need to power off and
power on the device or try different versions/boards.  This causes a
problem with the Linux (Ubuntu or Debian) running on the Intel PC.

The PC is typically booted when I need to insert the device under
test.  The Linux doesn't find the device and I cannot talk to it via
my kernel driver/application code.  Our application uses libpci
(programs built with -lpci) to gain access to the single BAR exposed
by our device.  However, an lspci does not list our device at all.  I
need to reboot the PC and then the device is visible.  This seems to
make sense since I inserted the device after the PC was booted.

I am looking for a solution where I don't have to reboot the PC so
often (tens of times during a day).  Can't I connect the device and
then run some code to make the Linux kernel detect and enable the BAR
of our device?  I was hoping to find some documentation on using the
PCI Support Library and examples but haven't been able to.  Any
pointers appreciated.  Perhaps there are calls like
pci_enable_device() or pci_find_device() etc. that I can execute in my
code?  I can't figure out though.  I can write kernel modules as well
as user code to get this working, i.e., I don't have any restrictions
on whether I have root access or not.

Thanks a lot for your advice and pointers,
Guraaf