Direct card to card transfer

Hello,

I guess writing to this list is a rather long shot, but I have no idea
where else to start. I would be extremely grateful for any pointers you
can give me, whatever it is.

I would like to transfer data between a PXI card (a digitizer, to be
precise) and a PCI express card (an Nvidia Tesla GPU) as fast as
possible.

Is it possible to have two cards write into each others memory directly,
without ever involving the host CPU? If I wanted to implement this,
where would I have to start? Do I need to go to kernel space? Or are
there API functions that I can use from userspace?

I already found out that I can connect the PXI bus to either the PCI or
PCI Express bus of the host computer using a bus extender. Is there a
difference between these two variants as far as communicating with other
PCIe cards is concerned?

Finally, can someone give me an order-of-magnitude estimate of how the
latencies that will be involved in such a transfer? How long will it
take to transfer 90 16bit samples from one card to the other?

Best,

   -Nikolaus

--
 ÂTime flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.Â