Re: new comer to understanding PCI device drivers

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 06:10:14PM +0530, Bond wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been reading some books about device driver development etc.I
> made a char driver of bond (dummy) device.

Which book are you reading?

> My book says that PCI devices contain three addressable regions,
> configuration space,IO ports,and device memory,

If the book talks about device drivers without explaining how those
are seperate address spaces, I'd suggest looking for a different book.

>the book talks about a
> file include/linux/pci_ids.h and PCI addressing etc.I read about
> following functions
> 1) pci_read_config_
> 2) pci_write_config_
>
> some thing known as offset is defined to be passed on as an argument
> to above functions
> 3) IRQ number assigned to a card function pci_read_config_byte_
> ,configuration register offsets
> 4) pci_request_region
> I want to write a pci driver for my own understanding and I am reading
> some books about it.
> I am not clear with terms
> 1) configuration space,
> 2) I/O ports
> 3) device memory
> 4) the offsets defined in include/linux/pci_ids.h
> 5) PCI addressing.
> Can some one point me to a resource for understanding this stuff.

Try Linux Device Drivers v3 (search for "LDDv3") or the PCI book published by "Mindshare"
in the 1990's.

hth,
grant