Re: Resizing a PCI device's BAR at runtime?

> I would recommend reading through Documentation/power/pci.txt to get a
> general overview. In your case I suspect the cleanest option will be to
> go down the runtime PM path. You presumably are only trying to resize the
> BAR when the device is idle, in which case the kernel can make these
> transitions for you via runtime PM. The alternative is to do explicit
> state transitions via sysfs or using open-coded calls to internal PM
> routines, neither of which are advisable, but are still options.

One again: You've not really told me anything very useful - basically,
you've told me "don't do that", and in response to the reasonable question
"ok, what do I do", you've really said little more than RTFM.

Well, I RTFM. I RTFM, RTFS, STFW, and generally tried to locate any
information that would answer the simple question

"OK, given that I have changes resources on my hardware, how to I force a
rescan of my hardware".

The documentation you pointed me to tells me NOTHING about how to trigger
a power management event to force the system to believe my device has been
suspended.

I've tried suspending it myself with
 pci_set_power_state(pci,PCI_D3hot)
and then restoring power with
 pci_set_power_state(pci,PCI_D0)
with no visible effects.

I've tried making my device generate a #PME on the bus, to no visible effect.

I appreciate what answers you have given, but ultimately, they didn't
really answer the core question, and as far as I can see, there is no
place on the Web that DOES. Your very responses ("...this question comes
up every time FPGAs are mentioned...") indicates that I'm not the only
person with this problem, so how about we actually DOCUMENT a reasonable
solution that is "right" so that people with deadlines and work to do can
actually live up to your standards and not sully the list with their
uncouth noobie presence, hmm?