Re: Problem with PCI bus rescan on 460EX

Hi Ben,

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
Yes, we need to do a resource allocation pass, setup DMA, etc... and
that is not done in that manual rescan case I suppose. I have to look.

Part of the problem is that there is no "proper" hooks in the generic
PCI code that I know of for that, but I'll have to double check the
code, things might have changed.

For boot time, we do this after we scan busses and before we add the
devices to sysfs. For hotplug, our hotplug drivers do something similar.
But that "rescan" sysfs hook seems to go directly into drivers/pci
causing a rescan but without a change to re-allocate resources etc...

You may be better off implementing a minimum hotplug driver I suppose...

Cheers,
Ben.

I'm fine with creating a minimal hotplug driver. The device I'm dealing with
partially implements Compact PCI hotplug. It generates ENUM# interrupt, but
Hotswap Control register layout does not completely follow the standard.

Should I use drivers/pci/hotplug/cpci_hotplug_core.c as a base, or do you have
something more simple in mind ?

Thanks a lot.

Felix.