Re: Order of PCI ID's

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 06:34:51PM +0100, Andreas Besse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I observed that the PCI Bus id's of the onboard network cards changed
> after I added a PCIe Dual DVB-Card to my system.
>
> The ID's changed from 02:00.0, 03:00.0 (see lspci_with_dvb.txt) to
> 03:00.0, 04:00.0 (see lspci_with_dvb.txt)
>
> How is the ordering of PCI/PCIe devices determined in generally by the
> linux PCI subsystem?

Totally random, depending on the phase of the moon, and the location of
your computer in relation to the nearest large body of water.

Seriously, this is expected, you can not rely on pci bus ids to remain
constant, especially if you have changed the physical system (like
adding a card which you did.)

> is the Bus ID for a specific PCI/PCIe Slot deterministic at every boot
> if no hotplug (removing or adding PCI/PCie cards) is involved?
>
> can I assume that the Bus ID's don't change if I don't add or remove any
> PCI/PCie cards?

Nope, I have a machine here that will reorder things every 4th boot or
so.  It's a "feature" of the BIOS according to the bug I filed with the
manufacturer that they closed out as invalid.

So never rely on these ids, they can not be guaranteed to be stable, and
will not be.

thanks,

greg k-h