Re: PCIexpress Slot_Power_Limit and Power budgetting.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:30:14AM +0100, stephane.gonauer@xxxxxxx wrote:
> My board is to be an x1 PCie board. Thus according to the PCIe electromechanical specifications,  the board may consume 10Watts by default, and 25Watts after correct dialog is established with upper bridges and the root complex. (which after acknowledging the request should send a Slot_Power_Limit message to the board to allow for higher power consumption).
>
> The board is based on a PEX8311 PCIe to local bus chip from PLX tech. This component is able to present its request for more power using the power budgeting capability as defined by the PCIe standard.
>
> However this doesn???t seems to have effect on the system (running latest ubuntu with 2.6.31 kernel) and from my understanding of the kernel sources this is not supported. Is that correct ?
> Are there ways that I???m not aware to request for more power in the existing source base ?

According to the PCIe spec, your machine's firmware will be programming
the Power Limit registers, and since it has much more knowledge about
what your motherboard can actually do than Linux does, Linux won't touch
those registers.

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."