Re: PCI hotplug problems: how to debug?

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 10:52:50 am Ira W. Snyder wrote:
> All six scenarios work on the Force computer. It seems to re-assign the
> same PCI BAR addresses each time.
>
> All six scenarios fail on the Trenton computer. It always re-assigns the
> PCI BAR addresses starting at 0x40000000, which is just above the top of
> physical memory. There is 1GB of RAM in the system.

I assume that if the card is present at boot, it works until you
try the hotplug operations.

> On both the Trenton and Force computers, the BIOS assigns the PCI BAR
> addresses towards the top of memory. Both assign addresses above
> 0xF0000000.
>
> After running a hotplug on the Trenton computer, I have used a PCI logic
> analyzer to confirm that no transactions accessing the PCI BAR's of the
> hotplugged card make it onto the PCI bus. PCI configuration space still
> works.

If the bridge isn't forwarding transactions to the PCI bus, my guess
is that we put the BAR the wrong place, e.g., maybe we didn't place
it in a host bridge aperture.

This is perfect timing ... I'm trying to improve the Linux PCI resource
messages to help debug situations like this.  If it's convenient for you,
I would love to see dmesg logs from both boards using the current PCI
linux-next kernel.

Bjorn