Re: Intel x55XX series Zeon Process have hidden PCI devies?

On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 09:24 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > There are 2 real questions I have:
> >
> > 1.  Why are these devices hidden?  I understand some of the other icore7
> > cpus devices behave as I would expect.
>
> I suspect its because they should not be normally accessed; it's "internal"
> functionality of the uncore. They don't provide any direct user visible devices.
>
> Why do you want to access them?

I am working to detect ECC errors.  In the past we have used EDAC to
detect the errors.  I have started with with folks in the EDAC space,
they are looking at decoding MCE level errors filling in the EDAC sysfs
space.

Regardless of MCE or EDAC implementation I need access to the PCI space
to decode the ECC memory errors.

> > 2.  If the devices can not be made to be used as a normal pci device
> > what is the best way to access them?
>
> What currently works is to boot with pci=noacpi,lastbus=255
> You need a recent kernel that has a off by one fixed that prevent
> accessing bus 255 this way earlier.
Yes this was mentioned to me.

Thanks,
  Keith Mannthey