Re: Intel x55XX series Zeon Process have hidden PCI devies?

On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 15:16 -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > > You'd have to ask your BIOS people.  Linux doesn't blindly scan every
> > > single PCI address; it would take far too long.  Instead, we rely on
> > > the BIOS to tell us about PCI busses that exist, and we scan those.
> >
> > Which table do the devices need to be present in for the kernel to pick
> > them up?
>
> Linux gets hints from the BIOS in a number of different ways.  You're
> probably using ACPI, so we'd look for a PNP0A03 device, then try to scan
> the bus that points to.

Thanks, I have asked some BIOS (or I should say UFI) folks if they can
shed some light onto the situation.

> > Why does the alternate configuration type work?
>
> Probably because you're telling it to scan PCI devices that the kernel
> doesn't know that it ought to scan.

Is there anyway from module init context to tell the kernel to scan and
look to create a proper pci device out if it? Is there a way to create a
struct pci devices and add it back into the pool?  I guess I need to dig
through the pci code a bit more.

At least one other person has seen this similar thing with the Zeons and
I don't think are running on IBM hardware.  I have heard other core i7
non Zeon cpus work just fine.

Thanks,
  Keith Mannthey
  LTC Real-Time