Changing the payload of PCI Express devices?

Hello,

I would like to test non-default payload sizes for my PCI Express
setup under Linux.

The root complex (PowerPC AMCC460EX in my case) support a maximum
payload of 512 but defaults to 128 bytes.
The devices I have (Intel e1000e and a custom FPGA end point) support
up to 256 bytes.

I have used setpci to first set the capability "device control"
register of the root complex bridge to become 256, then that of the
device.

lspci -vvnn now reflect this in more verbose manner, confirming the
devices are using 256 bytes payload.

Should this be all there is to it, i.e. can I assume this is run-time
settable on a device?

Regards,
--
Leon