Re: Patch Review

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:52:23AM +1100, Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>
>> And as far as the message, is the content really invalid? The comment
>> says "standard PCI ROMs" start with "55 AA", which makes it sound like
>> that's a normal value to find.
>
> 	Thanks for all your help; I agree with pretty much everything you've said,
> except this.  According to the Mindshare book on PCI, the ROM header always
> begins with the bytes 0x55 0xAA.  It describes them as "ROM Signature byte
> 1" and "ROM Signature byte 2".  You'll note that at this point in the code:
> -	image = rom, therefore image - rom = 0
> -	The code breaks out of the loop at this point
> -	The return value will hence be 0, which (according to previous
> 	discussion on this list) indicates an error.
>
> 	So, basically, if it doesn't find 0x55, it returns an error.  Should
> future ROMs not begin with 0x55, the code will need to be modified anyway,
> so there's no reason not to put something there.  But I agree that the
> "Invalid ROM" message would be sufficient at that point, and the pci-sysfs
> stuff should go elsewhere.

What about other architectures?
PARISC has a few cards that provide native "IODC" in ROM. I no longer
have access to the documentation that describes the ROM format. And I
know it was only a few cards - the rest had their IODC in the system
FW (aka BIOS).

Does OpenFirmware have a signature? Same signature?
I don't know which PCI cards would have OpenFirmware. If someone
else does, this would be a good time to share. :)

thanks,
grant