Question about allocating resources for a hotplug device

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, so please let me know if there is another list that I should post this on.

The question is that I am hotpluging a bridge in a slot, and plugging in a device behind the bridge. When I do this, I can see that the kernel enumerates the bridge and the device (assigns bus and device numbers to them), but it fails to allocate the memory resource that the new device is requesting for 1MB. After tracing the kernel code (version 2.6.23), I can see that call to pci_bus_assign_resources() fails. In the normal initialization sequence, it appears as though the BAR registers of a device have to be initialized before the call to pci_bus_assign_resources(), possibly by the BIOS.

How should the BAR registers of the new device be initialized in the case of hotplug?

Thanks,
Arvind.