Removing CONFIG_PCI_MSI choice

Hi everyone,

Yesterday at the Plumbers Conference we talked briefly about removing
the PCI_MSI Kconfig option (and just always building MSI support).
Coincidentally, I just had a colleague ask me for help because MSI
wasn't working on a Fedora 9 system.  I investigated a little and
discovered that current Fedora kernels are built with CONFIG_PCI_MSI=y
but have an extra patch added that defaults MSI to off (and requires
booting with "pci=msi" to enable MSI).

So it seems one way forward would be to get rid of CONFIG_PCI_MSI and
always build MSI support, but add something like CONFIG_PCI_MSI_DEFAULT
that allows someone to configure whether to default to allowing MSI (but
with the "pci=nomsi" boot option possible), or to default to the Fedora
case (no MSI used unless booted with "pci=msi").

Unfortunately, this doesn't reduce the number of Kconfig options we
have, but I'm assuming that the Fedora guys can tell us hair-raising
stories of boxes that won't boot if a driver enables MSI, and given that
they need the "MSI off" default, I think having the same possibility in
mainline is a reasonable idea.  The alternative is for Fedora to put
"pci=nomsi" on their command line by default, but the upgrade issues in
adding that to existing setups are probably insurmountable.

So does building MSI always but adding PCI_MSI_DEFAULT make sense to
everyone?  Ben, any PowerPC issues with that?  I can supply patches if
we agree.

 - Roland