How to do burst transfers

Dear readers

I have a problem with a linux PCI driver I've written. The driver supports a
kind of a data acquisition system, which is implemented in a programable
logic device. It's pci interface does not have master capability, so every
data exchange is initiated by the CPU.

Well, the driver is fairly simple and simply handles data exchange. It has to
transfer chunks of data from and to the device. To make it fast I'd like to
use burst transfers, which are supported by the device. Within the driver I
use the kernel functions memcpy_fromio and memcpy_toio to initiate a
transfer.
This works so far, however, there are no burst transfers. The bridge does a
complete address cycle for every single word which is a big waste of time.

I would really appreciate any hint how to make the CPU/bridge to initiate a
burst transfer. Are there any other functions?

The system is built on a AMD Geode LX800 CPU.

Felix