Re: libpci

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:23:19PM +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
> Am i on the right list for libpci?

Sure.

> I installed libpci-dev on Debian and want to find where i can
> find explanations of a lot of the constants in /usr/include/pci/header.h
> for things like AGP and PCI-X and bridges.

They come from the various PCI specifications which are distributed for
a fee by the PCI SIG.  I am aware of various copies floating around on
websites of dubious legality.

> They have comments, but i want something a bit more tutorial-like such
> as from a book, manual, data-sheet, standard, or code where it's used.
>
> I want to experiment with graphics cards in user-space drivers outside of X.
>
> X sets up PCI cards on its own. I could just copy and hack it, but was
> wondering if there was a better way.
>
> I've read all the current linux kernel and device-driver books.

Maybe you would do well with the Mindshare book?
http://www.amazon.com/PCI-System-Architecture-4th-PC/dp/0201309742

a retrograde step."