Re: Migrating parisc.wiki.kernel.org to RTD

Hi Konstantin,

On 10/11/24 16:31, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
We are trying to sunset the last few wikis that we are hosting and convert
them all to git-backed sphinx documentation. The PARISC wiki is one of the
last MediaWikis that we have, and I have prepared a migration path for you
that I hope you will find suitable.

# Preliminary build

I have the preliminary conversion build available here:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/projects/parisc/index.html

The underlying repository for it can be found here:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/docsko/parisc.git/

The git repository includes the entire mediawiki history (excluding media),
plus the new source tree with the conversion results.

You've have done a good job in converting it.
Thanks!

# Multiple RTD hosting options

If you would like to switch to the new sphinx-backed site, there are multiple
ways to host it:

1. You can clone that git repository and host it on github. This would allow
    for a quick readthedocs.org integration and allow you to edit the files
    directly via the github interface. This is a very wiki-like workflow and
    would allow you to grant access to the repository to anyone with a github
    account, plus accept pull requests with modifications. Once you have
    readthedocs.org integration working, we can configure it to be under the
    docs.kernel.org domain, which will allow you to remove the ads from the
    site.

2. Continue to host it in the current location and edit it with your
    kernel.org account credentials, plus accept edits via patches sent to this
    mailing list.

# Staying with mediawiki

I believe switching to sphinx-style documentation is the right way forward,
because wikis are increasingly problematic to host due to spam and hostile
scraper bots. By switching to RTD you also gain a lot more independence in
your hosting options, as the statically generated site can be put anywhere
capable of serving files.

However, if you're absolutely sure you want to stay with MediaWiki, we can
arrange hosting with OSUOSL, but it would need to be under a non-kernel-org
domain.

It's really sad.
I was quite happy with mediawiki and the output was quite nice, at
least nicer than what RTD currently generates.
I have not used RTD yet, so maybe someone here on the mailing list
has some knowledge and want to help?

# What next?

Please let me know which way you would like to proceed in the next few days,
as I am hoping to sunset our last wikis by the end of October.

Unless someone else steps up and want to work on the
website, I think I will go with RTD and choose either option 1 or 2.
Do you have some more docs what steps have to be done then?

Helge