Re: 64-bit userspace root file system for hppa64

Hi Helge,

On 12/5/23 13:58, Helge Deller wrote:
On 12/5/23 03:39, John David Anglin wrote:
On 2023-12-04 8:08 p.m., Guenter Roeck wrote:
I started to play with the new qemu hppa64 emulation.

This emulation is in the first row planned to be able to
be used with 64-bit kernels (until we hopefully once get
64-bit userspace).
Sadly there still seems to be a bug in the emulation
so that it fails when the kernel is built with specific
modules.... :-(
I still don't know where the bug is though.

I don't try to build / load modules, so I don't see that problem.

Couple of observations:
- There are spurious issues if I enable more than one CPU.
  I am not sure if that is realistic (the emulated systems seem to be
  single-CPU systems), so I dropped those tests. Historically
  (with older kernels and/or older versions of qemu), multi-core boots
  didn't work at all (they were slower than single-core),
  so there is definitely an improvement, but it isn't stable enough
  to use for kernel regression testing.
- The e1000 and e1000-82544gc network interfaces don't work
  (those work fine with the 32-bit emulation)
- ne2k_pci doesn't work anywhere. I get either a hang or a spinlock recursion
  error if I try.
- Not sure it if is worth mentioning: There may be hung task crashes in
  usb_start_wait_urb/usb_kill_urb during shutdown when booting from usb
  or when using an usb network interface. That happens with all emulations,
  though, and is not parisc specific.

Guenter