Re: API for setting multiple PTEs at once

On Wed, Feb 08, 2023 at 08:09:00PM +0800, Yin, Fengwei wrote:

> On 2/8/2023 7:23 PM, Alexandre Ghiti wrote:
> > Hi Matthew,

> >> OK, here's an actual implementation:
> >>
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20230207194937.122543-3-willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> >>
> >> It survives a run of xfstests.  If your architecture doesn't store its
> >> PFNs at PAGE_SHIFT, you're going to want to implement your own set_ptes(),
> >

> > riscv stores its pfn at PAGE_PFN_SHIFT instead of PAGE_SHIFT, se we need to reimplement set_ptes. But I have been playing with your patchset and we never fall into the case where set_ptes is called with nr > 1, any idea why? I booted a large ubuntu defconfig and launched will_it_scale.page_fault4.
> Need to use xfs filesystem to get large folio for file mapping.
> Other filesystem may be also OK. But I just tried xfs. Thanks.

XFS is certainly the flagship filesystem to support large folios, but
others have added support, AFS and EROFS.  You can also get large folios
in tmpfs (which is slightly different as it focuses on THPs rather than
generic large folios).

You also have to have CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE selected, which riscv
can do.  That restriction will be lifted at some point, but for now
large folios depends on the THP infrastructure.