Re: Recurring INEQUIVALENT ALIASES issues and userland corruption/crashes

On 2022-04-12 8:27 a.m., John David Anglin wrote:
On 2022-04-12 1:18 a.m., Sam James wrote:
Mar 22 04:19:55 muta.hppa.dev.gentoo.org kernel: INEQUIVALENT ALIASES 0x411ee000 and 0x428c9000 in file bash
```
It seems all these messages result from a single call to flush_dcache_page.  Note the sequential behavior of old_addr
and addr, and message times.
FWIW, from Helge's config on 5.10.108 (config changes on my end: just disabling unneeded devices to speed up build), I have the same
horrible wall:
This change might help:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-parisc/YlNw8jzP9OQRKvlV@mx3210.localdomain/T/#u

It applies on top of Helge's current for-next tree which is based on 5.18.0-rc1+.

The messages will no longer appear with this patch on c8000/rp34xx. However, the loop corruption
might still occur.  If that happens, I think the stall detector will trigger, or maybe some other crash.

The loop is changed to flush all mount points on machines with PA8800 or PA8900 processors as I
believe these CPUs don't support equivalent aliases.

Thousands of messages aren't useful.  I would suggest adding a BUG_ON statement in the loop that
triggers on the first message.  That might help find the circumstances that cause the problem.

I think the loop may get corrupted when the mapping code fails to find an address aligned on a 4MB
boundary.  Another possibility might be a locking issue.  In both these cases, the messages are just a
symptom of a problem elsewhere.

Dave

--
John David Anglin  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx