Re: Compressed kernels currently won't boot

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 09:44:03AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> I noticed this trying to test out compressed kernel booting.  The
> problem is that a compressed kernel is divided into two pieces, one of
> which starts at 0x000e0000 and is the bootstrap code which is
> uncompressed into 0x00100000 and the rest of which is the real
> compressed kernel which is loaded above the end of the current
> decompressed size of the entire kernel.  palo decompresses the head and
> jumps to it and it then decompresses the rest of the kernel into place.
>  This means that the first part of the compressed image can't be larger
> than 0x20000 == 131072 because otherwise it will be loaded into an area
> that decompression will alter.
>
> The problem is that a change was introduced by
>
> commit 34c201ae49fe9e0bf3b389da5869d810f201c740
> Author: Helge Deller <deller@xxxxxx>
> Date:   Mon Oct 15 22:14:01 2018 +0200

Hmm. This is what i've been facing as well. After reading this commit i'm not
sure that the patch i've just sent ("parisc: strip debug information when
building compressed images") is really wanted. However, it is really a pain
to always copy huge lifimages around when booting parisc machines via LAN.
Does someone really extract the vmlinux file from a compressed kernel images?
Should we keep that?

Regards
Sven