Re: HPPA problems with the PCI

+linux-parisc mailing list (public list since link at bottom is public too)

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 9:16 AM Carlo Pisani <carlojpisani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi
> I have been testing a few PCI-X SATA cards on C3600 and they do not
> work properly for weird not yet clear reason.
>
> Here (1) you can see what I tested, how, etc.

Hi Carlo,
It's awesome that you are testing SATA cards and running linux on a C3600.

 "not work properly" isn't a lot of information to go by.  You've been
keeping good notes at (1) and I encourage others on the parisc mailing
list to take a look.

> Cards have been recently tested on a PowerMacG4 and they do work
> perfectly. Note the PowerMacG4 is PCI64, not PCI-X, so it's the same
> as the C3600.

While PCI bus type is the same, most problems with device drivers are
at DMA Coherency/Memory ordering level.  C3600 has PA8600 processor
and you might learn more about PA-8600 processor, Astro (IOMMU), and
Elroy (PCI host controller) from
https://www.openpa.net/systems/hp-visualize_b1000_c3000_c3600.html

If you can try some experiments, start adding mb() calls after the
driver adds or removes an IO request from any list or queue.

> My feelings about a PCI-X card in the PCI64 of the C3600 is that there
> is something wrong, probably the PCIXCAP pin is missing on the BUS?

I have no idea. It's been > 10 years since I've had access to HP HW
documents or used a PCI or PCI-X bus analyzer.

I'm skeptical on your hypothesis though - HP was very thorough in
complying with PCI spec - assuming PCIXCAP pin was defined by PCI
spec.

You'd have to get a PCI protocol analyzer to collect signaling
information to see where the card fails to initialize or operate
correctly.

> What do you think?
> Carlo
>
> (1) http://www.downthebunker.com/reloaded/space/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=337