Re: PCI video card hangs during system boot

On 2016-04-13 3:06 AM, Simone Mannori wrote:
Maybe pulling FireGL X1 will help:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-users/2015-February/000034.html
Already done Dave: same error message during system boot. Just to be
clear, the error message is also indipendent by the PCI slot position.
Thanks for the hint, anyway.
Just one further thought regarding FireGL X1. The OLS article by Grant referenced in the above link indicated that a common problem in porting drivers to parisc was timing issues with I/O writes. This was fixed in a couple of drivers by doing a read after doing a write. Possibly, the radeon driver
could be hacked to always read after write as a test.

I also read somewhere ia64 linux using zx1 chipset did work at one time. This link gives some history
on ia64 and might give some hints about other things to try:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.ports.ia64/3031

My conclusion is that the "vanilla-PC" ATI RADEON 9200 128M PCI is not
"BIOS compatible" with the c8000.
Agreed. There's no way to change the c8000 BIOS. I'd hoped that removing the X1 might free up
I/O space and allow 9200 to work.

Dave

--
John David Anglin  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx