Re: Kernel hangs with ATI video cards

Success!

As you have suggested, I have manually downloaded the package

--> firmware-linux-nonfree_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb

from here:

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/firmware-linux-nonfree/download

then I have installed it (as root) with "dpkg -i
firmware-linux-nonfree_0.36+wheezy.1_all.deb"

During the installation of the deb package, the initramdisk of the
kernel has been automatically updated with the proprietary firmware.

As you have correctly point out, both the previously working NVIDIA
QUADRO MXR 32M and the actual FileG2 T2

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
RV350 GL [FireGL T2] (rev 80)

have DRI/OpenGL support in software (no hardware acceleration):

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.1.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

This is _very_strange because both "nouveau" and "radeon" should
support OpenGL / DRI in hardware ! Apparently, they run OK (X11 is OK)
but they switch to software rendering.

Question: inside X11 drivers, video card register setting is done
directly OR via VGA BIOS? In the second case, video card BIOS contains
x86 code that cannot be executed by pa risc processors (this is the
reason because the c8000 BIOS include an x86 emulator to set-up the
video card as console). This is a possible clue to find the source of
this issue.

Anyway, just a loose cannon like me can chase a wilde goose :-).

  Simone Mannori - Italy