Re: [C8000] serial console drops input

On 1/25/14 12:54 PM, Dave Land wrote:
On 1/25/14 10:13 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 18:03:17 +0100
Rolf Eike Beer <eike-kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Boot output looks fine. Cables are normal nullmodem. I can interact
using minicom with the firmware, i.e. typing "BO
PRI<return>N<return>" or things like that work fine.

Yes, in the PDC everything still seems fine.

But as early as in the IPL I can't paste a string without
characters dropping (which is how I first noticed the issue, since
that's where I normally do this to select a kernel to boot). So did the
IPL change as well, then?

      jer
linux-parisc" in

(I probably should have hit reply-all on this before...)

Just as an FYI, I had some of the same behavior when I first set my
J6750 up with a serial line (null modem cable to a secondary machine)
Usually had to type the p/w 2 or 3 times to get it to 'take' in minicom.
One thing I *did* notice was the *length* of the null modem cable and
the proximity of the 2 machines seemed to make a difference (bad cable
shielding maybe?) Just my 2 cents. (Running Kernel Ver. 3.12.6-2 at the
moment)

...and like Dave A. mentioned, Xon/Xoff makes a difference too.

Dave L.

P.S. Now that it's up and running, and I usually log in with PUTTY or
the STIcon graphics console, it's not a problem anymore. :-)

One other thing... If you're using the serial line, make sure you don't have a monitor or keyboard & mouse hooked to the target machine (I know the C8000's are graphics capable and most likely have usb ports for keyboard and mouse, the same as my J6750.) This seems to confuse the machine in the early setup stages, at least it did make a difference on mine.

Dave L.

--
Dave Land
Land Computer Service  xmechanic@xxxxxxxxxxxx