Possibility that /dev is not being properly populated by udev?

Hiya folks,

This is more of request for the collective minds to get together and discuss a possible fix, rather than a direct question. I own 2 of the machines that represent 3 of the current buildd servers for the hppa unstable port. Between Helge Deller, Dave Anglin, and myself, we're attempting to repopulate the repos at debian.ports with fresh packages, and for the most part it's been going pretty well. You can see our progress here: http://unstable.buildd.net/index-hppa.html Helge has developed a couple of experimental kernels to alleviate some of the buildd issues, etc. but we are still plagued with udev mis-interpreting device ID's when populating /dev.

As a result, it becomes a real issue when external drives or other devices are attached to the host. After our latest crash with rio.landcomp.net last night, (hardware related this time) assisted by a possible buildd error, I opened the machine up (RP2470 A500), and removed a failing Symbios SCSI card and replaced it with another. In the past, I've had several issues with this card detecting the external drive array (HP 2110), and usually I had to ID the drives in fdisk by LABEL in order for /etc/fstab to mount them in the proper locations.

Also there was the issue of the Symbios card repeatedly resetting the SCSI bus at startup to the point where fsck.ext3 would finally die with Signal 8, when it couldn't find the drives to check. When the card finally got around to detecting the drives, the OS was practically fully loaded and I would have to manually mount them. With the number of re-boots we have to do with hung kernels, unrecoverable buildd errors, etc. this turned in a real pain.

I then hooked the external drive array to the Ultra2 LVD/SE SCSI port on the 'rio' machine itself, and lo and behold, the internal SCSI BIOS found them immediately. Everything was fine until we determined that the drive order as listed in fdisk-l and blkid wasn't even close to being correct, even though the machine somehow booted from the correct primary partition on what would normally be /dev/sda3 since it was referred to by LABEL, as is, the drive with the /home partition, which would normally be /dev/sdb1. Instead they show up in fdisk-l and blkid as /dev/sde3 and /dev/sdd1. In reality, /dev/sdc,sdd,sde, and sdf are the four drives in the external array. I set them up with LABEL ID's also, except for the swap partitions which I have ID'd by UUID.

I've currently disconnected the externals on both rio.landcomp.net (the A500) and hpviz.landcomp.net (the J6750), as both were exhibiting the same behavior, regardless of which kernel we were using (the stock vmlinux-3.11-1-parisc64-smp or Helge's custom kernel with the buildd patches).

Here's the relevant info for the Visualize J6750 'hpviz' in it's current state:
Kernel Ver.: *3.11-2-parisc64-smp*
GCC Ver.: *gcc-4.8.2-10*
No remote management card
Access: SSH, local graphics console --> (thanks to Helge's parisc64-smp kernel patches, the FXe graphics card is now stable in STI console mode (color even!) on 64 bit SMP with >4GB of RAM)
CPU(s): 2x 875mhz. PA-8700
RAM: 7162 Mb.
PCI Devices: LSI Logic dual Port LVD/SE SCSI, HP FXe graphics card

...and the current relevant info for the RP2470 (A500) 'rio'

Kernel Ver.: *3.11-1-parisc64-smp*
GCC Ver.: *gcc-4.8.2-10*
Remote managemment: GSP built-in service processor
Access: GSP, serial line (ttyS0)
CPU(s): 2x 750 mhz. PA-8700
RAM: 8162 Mb.
PCI devices: LSI Logic single port LVD/SE SCSI

I'll include links to the text files for /var/log/syslog and /var/log/ messages for both machines (Beware, these are quite lengthy, especially since we were trying to setup postfix and all the related utilities on the rio, and there's still some glitches in the setup, but it might give you some idea of why udev isn't properly populating /dev and assorted other issues.)

You are welcome to email myself, Helge Deller, or Dave Anglin with your thoughts, and/or possible solutions! Thanks!

By the way, I'm mainly the grunt labor for keeping the actual machines up and running, so Dave A. and Helge Deller would be the likely candidates to understand all this and give an educated reply to possible solutions, but please do include me in the Cc's. I'm still trying to absorb all the info I can. :-)

Dave L.

Owner and maintenance tech at Land Computer Service

Links: http://www.landcomp.net:884/images/hpviz-var-log-syslog.txt
       http://www.landcomp.net:884/images/hpviz-var-log-messages.txt
       http://www.landcomp.net:884/images/rio-var-log-syslog.txt
       http://www.landcomp.net:884/images/rio-var-log-messages.txt