Re: hppa atomic support in gcc?

On 21-Aug-13, at 1:57 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM, John David Anglin
<dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Carlos,

Yes, it been there for many years but it doesn't use glibc's atomic.h. It
directly
does light-weight system calls into kernel. The implementation is very
similar to arm.
See: libgcc/config/pa/linux-atomic.c.

Helge did the initial implementation and I have fixed a few bugs in it.

I changed to using this atomic support in the qt4-x11 package because the
existing
ldcw based locking broke the qt4smoke package build. I need to submit my
patch
somewhere.

Awesome. Responded to Guy Martin with this info.

I noticed today that the /usr/bin/dot command was dropping core. It generates several
threads when it runs.

Looking at one of the dumps, it turned out that the exception was in g_private_get. This involves various atomic operations. Looking at the glib2.0 atomic implementation, I see it depends on the GCC cpp define __GCC_HAVE_SYNC_COMPARE_AND_SWAP_4. Because of the library implementation, this symbol isn't being defined. So, glib2.0's
atomic support isn't atomic.

I'm looking at a GCC change to define the above. Maybe this will help. The situation might
be similar for other packages.

Dave
--
John David Anglin	dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx