Re: possible virtual aliasing issues on parisc ?

[cc to parisc list]

On Thu, 2012-11-01 at 16:45 -0700, Michel Lespinasse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently working on a patchset to avoid the brute-force search
> in arch_get_unmapped_area functions (and also pushes some of it back
> into generic code). So far I've only sent it as an RFC on linux-mm.

Actually, I read linux-mm pretty closely (at least for the cgroups
stuff), but I must have missed it.  In general, if you need the
attention of arch maintainers, linux-arch is the right list to cc.

> Looking at the arch/parisc/kernel/sys_parisc.c implementation of
> get_shared_area(), I do have a concern though. The function basically
> ignores the pgoff argument, so that if one creates a shared mapping of
> pages 0-N of a file, and then a separate shared mapping of pages 1-N
> of that same file, both will have the same cache offset for their
> starting address.
>
> This looks like this would create obvious aliasing issues. Am I
> misreading this ? I can't understand how this could work good enough
> to be undetected, so there must be something I'm missing here ???

No, I think it does.

I also think the pgoff != 0 case is rare, so it doesn't show very often.
To test this, I booted up with a printk for every pgoff != 0 and it
didn't trigger, so it's probably not seen in the ordinary course of
events.

Finally, we have a test for inequvalent aliases in flush_dcache_page, so
even if we do get the inequivalency, we'll resolve it correctly.

James