Re: what's parisc execve_wrapper doing in the end?

On 5-Oct-12, at 7:32 PM, Al Viro wrote:

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 06:54:02PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
On 5-Oct-12, at 10:48 AM, Al Viro wrote:

What are you using for toolchain, BTW?  With gcc 4.3 / binutils 2.20
(cross-builds) I'm getting panics from mainline kernel on parisc32 all
way back to 2.6.28...

Current debian unstable tools are available in
shirka.esiee.fr:/home/dave/archives
and shirka.esiee.fr:/home/dave/archives-new.  It's pretty straight
forward to update
binutils, gcc, libc, etc.

gcc 4.4, 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 are available.  In particular, 4.6 and 4.7
have significant
bug fixes.

James seems to have an account on shirka.

I don't have any place to distribute the debs that are on shirka, or
the time to remove
obsolete builds.  Any volunteers?

Hmm... debian-ports would be a natural place, but TBH I'd very much prefer to deal with cross-builds - doing kernel builds on a 100MHz 7100LC with
96M of RAM is really not fun...

Right...

I had setup a buildd system system on lafayette.esiee.fr but unfortunately a processor module died. I also never received a response from debian- ports
(several emails) about restarting buildd for parisc.

I've continued to build packages on the rp3440 that I have at home. It doesn't have much trouble keeping up with unstable. At the same time, I use it for gcc testing
and development.

I would say you should be able to build cross tools using the binutils 2.22 branch and gcc 4.6 or 4.7. They should work better than gcc 4.3 with binutils 2.20.

The reason I say that is I have built many debian packages with the current tools and I have been slowly chipping away at the toolchain bugs that I have found.

Dave
--
John David Anglin	dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx