Re: what's parisc execve_wrapper doing in the end?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 09:30:16AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM, James Bottomley
> <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Unless I'm missing something really subtle, it looks like HPUX compat had
> >> been very noticably broken since at least 2002.  Comments?
> >
> > I think it probably has.  I don't believe there's anyone left with hpux
> > binaries actually checking it.
>
> Was the HPUX support ever completed?
>
> I had HPUX/Linux dual-boot on one of my systems and I was never able
> to run an HPUX binary correctly.
>
> Someone with the time and inclination is all that is missing to
> cleanup the rotten HPUX bits.
>
> There is no need to keep any of it around, that's what version control is for.

FWIW, parisc seems to be the last architecture to keep such thing - sparc
and mips had dropped SunOS/Solaris/IRIX compat, iBCS* is long-dead (and hadn't
been in mainline kernel anyway).  Alpha might still be able to run some OSF
binaries, but there the situation is different - no alternative syscall
entry codepath, Linux just uses the same ABI and shares syscall numbers
where possible...