Re: Happy New Year PARISC

On 1/3/2012 6:50 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM, John David Anglin<dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:
None of this worked.  Attached patch as it stands.  Comments and testing
appreciated.
Could you clarify what you mean by "none of this worked?"

I tried eliminating the flushes that occur in kunmap_atomic on PA8800 and PA8900 after the calls to clear_user_page and copy_user_page by defining clear_user_highpage and copy_user_highpage. I had thought the flushes weren't necessary. There's something about this that I don't understand. Why do we need to flush non-equivalent page mappings
that aren't used?

Also tried:
#define flush_cache_dup_mm(mm)        do { } while (0)

In both cases, init died causing a panic at boot. Maybe there's something missing at
startup.

Most arch's have the above define for flush_cache_dup_mm. Our define really hurts fork performance. The GCC testsuite takes almost twice as long to run on linux as hpux.
On the other hand, build times are fairly comparable.

Dave

--
John David Anglin    dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx