Re: Link error in CMake for HPPA1.1, wrong result for HPPA 2.0

>>> So did you recompile with -ffunction-sections?
>>>
>>> The basic problem is that the linker was unable to insert a jump
>>> to the requested function because it was too far away. Some targets
>>> like hppa have short branch distances and we use intermediate stub
>>> tables to get around that. However, we can't insert stub tables just
>>> anywhere, they need to go between sections. Therefore you need to
>>> break up this object file.
>> I think there is a real bug here but nobody has provided a test case.
>> -ffunction-sections
>> probably won't help.
>
> Confirmed, it is a regression in gcc 4.5. If I build using 4.4.6
> everything works fine. I'll file a bug report tonight.

Everything _compiles_ fine. The process later goes into an endless loop
again if I call the compiled binary with a source directory. This does not
happen with arguments like "--help" or "--version", so I overlooked that
at first.

So:
-compiling/linking with g++ 4.5 fails
-compiling/linking with g++ 4.4 works, but the result is unusable

John, do you need anything more from me? Things I can test? Which version
is your patch against?

Eike