Re: binutils change break glibc build

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM, John David Anglin
<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Binutils should not merge the special function pointers used to mark
> the start and end of the .ctors/.dtors lists.  This could be tested
> for in libc, but this is inefficient.  On architectures that use
> function descriptors, function pointer comparisons are messy.  Do
> we want to call the infamous cffc in the dynamic loader?  Casts of
> function pointers to integer types are implementation defined and
> pointer sizes can vary.  So, the simple hack could break.
>
> In my opinion, binutils should be fixed to work with old glibc
> versions.  There is a work around in my binutils PR.

I would like __cffc to eventually go away. It's only required because
of the incorrectly implemented PLABEL support in binutils. A PLABEL in
the executable should not be resolved to a PLT entry, it should remain
a relocation for the dynamic loader to resolve. Once that's fixed,
eventually __cffc will go away. That's a project that is only agenda
after some glibc cleanup.

Cheers,
Carlos.