PTE/TLB issues (was Re: Longstanding bug in our IRQ code (irqbalance HPMCs parisc SMP machines))

Le 24 avr. 10 à 17:48, John David Anglin a écrit :

Sounds like it. Though the HPMCs are clearly different than the PTE
issues
that jda/carlos are seeing.

True, but I remember Debian staff complaining about random unexplained
hangs, I wouldn't be too surprised if this came into play...

I have been looking at the PTE/TLB code for the last couple of weeks.
I now believe that the majority of the random hangs, segvs at program
startup are related to problems with the PTE/TLB code.

[snip]

Thanks for this detailed explanation. I've quoted your remarks to this wiki page (as a reference point):
http://wiki.parisc-linux.org/KnownIssues#head-fc724f5d1b9a93f4b531a05fc1aab3314dde8c87

People, feel free to make sure everything there is as accurate as it can be, btw... Also taking the opportunity to point at the "SMP perf / cache issue" paragraph there... Might be related.

I've also added a link to the irqbalance bug on that same page.

FWIW, the hangs I was referring to are those that kill the machine without any output. Hopefully PTE/TLB issues are a bit more verbose? ;-)

HTH

--
Thibaut VARÈNE
http://www.parisc-linux.org/~varenet/