Re: Question about execve.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 5:21 PM, John David Anglin
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> If I provide you with a new glibc with the r19 fix would you be able
> >> to test it out?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I know it's easier to debug a static application for these cases, so I
> think a fixed glibc will help.

Yes.

It's proving more difficult than I thought to fix the kernel and
I'm not sure I understand how this works:

        LDREG   TI_TASK-THREAD_SZ_ALGN-FRAME_SIZE-FRAME_SIZE(%r30), %r1
	LDREG   TASK_PT_GR19(%r1),%r2
	b       wrapper_exit
	copy    %r0,%r28

It appears the child has to access the parent's pt_regs struct
to load the return for the child.

> I have an unstable libc6 currently building with the changes to
> save/restore r19 in all cases.

Great.

> We still aren't any closer to explaining why my shared case doesn't work.
>
> I still don't have a good answer to this question:
>
> * What prevents the execve from returning to userspace?

I presume you mean the caller's userspace.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)