Re: Segmentation fault in __libc_start_main with -static

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM, John David Anglin
<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Could you explain the change in more detail?
>
> The change is to set fs->signal_frame = 1 in signal frames in
> pa32_fallback_frame_state.  This affects the determination as to whether
> the IP is before or after the first not yet fully executed instruction
> in a frame.  This feature was added in 2006 by Jakub Jelinek, but
> pa32_fallback_frame_state was not changed.

OK.

> This fixes unwinding in Ada (corner case).  It probably fixes corner
> causes for other languages.  However, it breaks a number of Java testcases.
> The problem is compensated for in the definition used for MAKE_THROW_FRAME
> in libjava/include/pa-signal.h and hppa-signal.h.
>
> The Ada testcase that exposed this problem is new for 4.5.
>
> I'd hoped to bump the libgcc_s version so as to not break existing
> applications, but that appears impossible.

No, unfortunately the implementation of pthread_cancel() needs to use
the unwinder, and that means glibc assumes that the latest libgcc_s.so
can always unwind old code using some sort of fallback.

Cheers,
Carlos.