Re: Wierd code in Entry.S

Hi Grant,

Bit 44 falls into the access_id area. So, access id get corrupted. As far as I understand we should get interrupt 18 (access check trap) on such TLB entries. However we do not. The bug can go unnoticed when the access id is smaller than 31 bits. The PA2.0 manual says in the IDTLBT description: If smaller than 31-bit access IDs are implemented, only the appropriate number of the rightmost bits of GR[r]{32..62} are stored in the TLB. Obviously, bit 44 is not among the stored bits.

Actually, I have no idea on how many bits are used by the hardware. Myself I have rp2470.

Best regards,
Artem

But I'm still wondering what the effect of this bug will be.
The first order (not setting U-bit) should only affect ZX1 (pa8800/pa8900)
machines. Those have uncacheable IO space between 2GB-4GB physical address.
My guess is the machines should HPMC since the CPU would attempt to access
those ranges as a cacheline read/write instead of sub-cacheline transactions.

It's not clear from the arch manual what happens if bit 44 is set in R2.
I didn't look far enough to see where the auth ID gets corrupted.

begin:vcard
fn:dr. Artem Alimarine
n:Alimarine;Artem
org:STROMASYS SA
adr:;;De Zaale 11;Eindhoven;;5612AJ;The Netherlands
email;internet:artem.alimarine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Software Architect
tel;work:+31-40-2390863
tel;fax:+31-40-2390800