Re: Segfault in __c_f_f_c during strace of nptl application.

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM, John David
Anglin<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sorry, this turns out not to be correct, after tracing the assembly
>> completely (including loads in delayed branches) it looks like the
>> location read from the pid through ptrace might be wrong. I'll have to
>> keep debugging this.
>
> Delayed branches are a nasty invention.  I am testing a patch to
> fix a problem that appeared last week.

Interesting.

> When a conditional branch with an unfilled delay slot is followed
> by an asm, bad things may end up in the delay slot.  Even worse,
> the branch may branch into the delay slot.  GCC has no idea what's
> in an asm.  So, I'm trying to add a nop in the delay slot when a
> conditional branch is followed by an asm.

There is an on-and-off-again bug in glibc's vfprintf.c implementation
that causes DBR to miscompile that file, but it comes and goes
depending on the gcc version. I filed a bug once, but because I
couldn't produce a reduced testcase Pinski closed it. If I see it
again I'll try again to produce a reduced testcase.

How's 4.4 on hppa?

Cheers,
Carlos.