Re: some gij-4.3/2.6.24-rc8 crashes

> This isn't fatal because we are writing into a userspace address, it
> *is* fatal to the userspace process.
>
> Did you run out of memory?

Don't really have a solution.  I used to see this all the time but
recent kernels have been much better in handling out of memory situations.
There is a little program in the gas testsuite that allocates 1 GB
of memory and it used to crash my c3k all the time.

The jc1 compiler is something of a memory hog.  I've stopped testing
java on my c200 because it takes forever to compile the library.
Although the compiler adapts somewhat to the memory available in
a machine, I have the sense that the current optimizations run best
on machines with 1 GB or more of memory for data.  Indeed, I think
the relative performance of the 64-bit compiler is better than it
used to be because of the larger address space and available memory.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)