Re: How to use gpio-omap as interrupt-controller

On Thursday 08 August 2013 11:23 AM, Lars Poeschel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a device-tree-booting omap board that uses gpio-omap as gpio driver.
> Kernel version is 3.11.0-rc4. I have connected a device that signals
> interrupts to a gpio pin of the omap. The driver for this device fails in
> request_threaded_irq.
> The irq framework tries to setup the irq in __setup_irq which calls
> gpio_irq_type in gpio-omap.c. This function checks if bank->mod_usage is
> set and because it is not, the function fails. Looking at where bank-
>> mod_usage is set, I see it is only set in omap_gpio_request.
> This means I have to request at least one random gpio to be able to set the
> type of the irq of another pin on this bank ?
> How do I correctly use the gpio-omap gpio driver in my case ?
> The board is booting using device tree and does not request a gpio prior to
> requesting the irq on this gpio bank. I really do not want to request a
> gpio. They should stay as they are.
> Or does this mean the driver of the connected device is wrong and instead
> it has to request some random gpio before ?
>
> An example of such a connected device is gpio-adnp by the way.
> The device tree part looks like this:
>
> 		gpioext: gpio-adnp@41 {
> 			compatible = "ad,gpio-adnp";
> 			reg = <0x41>;
>
> 			interrupt-parent = <&gpio>;
> 			interrupts = <160 1>;
>
> 			gpio-controller;
> 			#gpio-cells = <1>;
>
> 			interrupt-controller;
> 			#interrupt-cells = <2>;
>
> 			nr-gpios = <64>;
> 		};

You hit the issue which we tried to address but ended
up reverting the patches. refer [1], [2] for more
information. For now, its broken unfortunately.
Regards,
Santosh

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg91405.html
[2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/29/280