Re: reset handling in am335x hwmod data

On 01:55-20130520, Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:

> [...]
Yes - that is what the above does - as long as the GPIO is requested and
set to the right level by the relevant driver, it is not "unused" and
hence not reset at late_init.

I am a little unclear as to why this needs to have anything to do with
the precise under-lying mechanism (hwmod or something else). May be
"both seem to be different to me" needs a little further elaboration?

Is this because there is no need for an EMIF driver to handle DDR? and
reset of the GPIO will occur as EMIF is configured at bootloader and
there is no need to do that in kernel, correspondingly there is no
"driver" to hold the gpio?

> > Ideally, it would have been much better if drivers starts handling
> > Idle, ocp reset and standby on their own (killing dependency on hwmod
> > init layer).
> >
> > But looking at current state,
> > I agree we need to use DT property here, so how about
> > Adding DT property  to GPIO node itself. But we have to parse
I believe you mean at OMAP specific  DT property for hwmod?
something like ti,hwmod-no-init-reset?
> > It early during hwmod init stage. We should read all DT nodes
> > Inside function __setup() function, that way can get rid of
> > HWMOD_INIT_NO_RESET flag completely. Also, this will handle
> > Both ocp_reset and domain reset.
> >

> Forgot to mention,
>
> Since this is kernel boot failure issue, I think,
> By the time we reach to conclusion, another approach is to
> set "HWMOD_INIT_NO_RESET" flag For GPIO0 bank.
a) if the GPIO gets moved over to some other GPIO bank on another platform,
this wont work
b) for platforms that dont use gpio to hold DDR power, maybe this is not
even relevant and the GPIO bank can safely be reset?

--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon