Re: omap DSS fails with tft410 driver panel?

On 2012-12-18 15:45, Javier Martinez Canillas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tested with the latest stable kernel (Linux 3.7.1) and the video
> output is working correctly with the same user-space components.
> The complete dmesg is here: http://fpaste.org/1Kv4/
>
> Looking at the logs for both kernels I realized that there are two
> differences main between the working (3.7.1) and non-working
> (mainline) kernel (besides the versions of course):
>
> a) The number of framebuffers created (working 1, non working 3)
> b) The omapfb now uses dma_alloc_attrs to allocate memory instead of
> the now removed OMAP-specific omap_vram_alloc
>
> For a) I built mainline with CONFIG_FB_OMAP2_NUM_FBS=1 and that made
> the error about the overlay paddr being zero disappear (OVERLAY error:
> check_overlay: paddr cannot be 0) but still no video on the screen.

Ok. I think the reason for that is that the paddr errors come from X
trying to setup the video overlays with paddr 0. The video overlays are
by default on fb1 and fb2, so they are not present if you set the
NUM_FBS to 1.

> Conversely I build 3.7.1 with CONFIG_FB_OMAP2_NUM_FBS=3 and even
> though I had the paddr can't be zero error, video is working
> correctly. So it seems that error shouldn't affect the video display.

Hmm, so do you get any display with 3.8, before X is started, using
plain fb? For example, break the boot before X is started, and do

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/fb0

Do you have an userspace image I could download to reproduce this?

> For b) I tried to built mainline with CONFIG_CMA=y but it didn't work either.

I don't think the vram change affects this, except if you see errors
about mem alloc. But yes, I think you should enable CMA with 3.8,
although allocation may work fine for smaller displays even without CMA.

 Tomi