Re: OMAP and arm-soc's for-next branch

* Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [120324 05:53]:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:22:56PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> > I've just re-merged the build tree for the nightly builds so it's now
> > based on v3.3, and pulled in the latest for-next from arm-soc.
> >
> > I notice that the problem I reported earlier (see the "arm-soc + rmk's
> > tree boot failure on OMAP4430SDP" thread), which results in OMAP
> > being totally unable to boot, is still present.
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned, as long as this remains unfixed in arm-soc,
> > arm-soc is not to push any branch containing the broken commit
> > (3ec2decb) upstream.
>
> Just noticed that the fix for this has already been pushed into mainline.
> So, what this means is that anyone trying to bisect across this merge
> window with an OMAP platform will hit a range of commits which just won't
> boot.  That's really great stuff when the merge window contains the most
> probable set of commits for causing issues which would need to be bisected.

Yes the boot issue got fixed by commit dc7e57fa (OMAPDSS: register dss drivers
in module init) as discussed in the "arm-soc + rmk's tree boot failure on
OMAP4430SDP" thread.

It's too bad that the problem causing commit and the fix for a driver come
from separate development trees as that causes bisect issues like you mention
above. Better coordination and testing is needed between drivers and core
omap changes to avoid issues like this in the future.

Regards,

Tony