Re: smsc911x on Gumstix Overo/Tobi doesn't work

* Thomas Klute <thomas2.klute@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [120319 09:26]:
> Am 16.03.2012 20:33, schrieb Tony Lindgren:
> > Hi,
> >
> > * Thomas Klute <thomas2.klute@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [120316 05:08]:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have trouble getting the Ethernet port on a Gumstix Overo with Tobi
> >> expansion board to work with current kernel versions. With the latest
> >> commit from linux-omap git (b8fe1781ec8bed5e086691a827a6ee11facec2aa),
> >> the output from loading the smsc911x driver is as follows:
> >>
> >> du14:~# modprobe smsc911x
> >> [  254.843811] smsc911x: Driver version 2008-10-21
> >> [  254.854553] smsc911x: Driver version 2008-10-21
> >> [  254.859588] _regulator_get: smsc911x.1 supply vdd33a not found, using
> >> dummy regulator
> >> [  254.868377] _regulator_get: smsc911x.1 supply vddvario not found,
> >> using dummy regulator
> >>
> >> "ip link show" does not show any available Ethernet port.
> >
> > The first instance one should work the same way as earlier using
> > fixed regulator in gpmc-smsc911x.c. Is it not working for you
> > somehow? At least it works for me on zoom3.
>
> The Tobi board has only one Ethernet port.
>
> >> I know there has been some trouble with changes around smsc911x
> >> regulator support and Gumstix Overo in particular. Am I just missing the
> >> right regulator in my kernel config or is this a bug? I can test patches
> >> in the latter case.
> >
> > The second smsc911x now needs a regulator. For multiple smsc911x instances,
> > we should change things around so no regulator is created if one
> > is passed.
> >
> > Care to test the following patch by passing a fixed regulator
> > from board-overo.c?
>
> After applying the patch the Ethernet port works consistently once I had
> done a cold boot (reboot from the unpatched kernel did not work).
> Thank you!

Hmm but this patch should not change the behaviour for the first smsc911x
instance unless you specify a custom regulator.. Did you patch in a
custom regulator, or do we have a bug somewhere? Or do you just need to
do a cold reset without the patch I posted?

> However, I noticed another problem while testing the patch (not sure if
> it occurs with the previous version, I can check if that helps): A NULL
> pointer dereference occurs when unloading the module, see attached log.

Yes please do check, that needs to be fixed.

Regards,

Tony