Re: [BUG] EHCI build dependencies broken?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:30:33AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>
> > The latest randconfig build for OMAP4430SDP produced this build failure:
> >
> > drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.c:1382:2: error: #error "missing bus glue for ehci-hcd"
> >
> > This appears to be because the OMAP EHCI glue was not selected in the
> > configuration, but ehci-hcd was:
> >
> > CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
> > CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
> > CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT=y
> > # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_TT_NEWSCHED is not set
> > # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD_OMAP is not set
> > # CONFIG_USB_EHCI_MV is not set
> >
> > Looking at the Kconfig file, it seems that it's entirely possible to
> > select EHCI_HCD without any glue selected.  It's also possible to build
> > EHCI with two (or more) bus glues selected - eg, it's possible for
> > both these to be selected:
> >
> > Kconfig:
> > config USB_EHCI_HCD_OMAP
> >         bool "EHCI support for OMAP3 and later chips"
> >         depends on USB_EHCI_HCD && ARCH_OMAP
> >
> > config USB_EHCI_MV
> >         bool "EHCI support for Marvell on-chip controller"
> >         depends on USB_EHCI_HCD
>
> I'd say the "depends" line for USB_EHCI_MV is broken.  It should allow
> this option only on systems using the Marvell platform.
>
> Of course, that doesn't solve the issue of not having any bus glue
> selected at all.  I don't know enough about Kbuild to fix this --
> suggestions are welcome.
>
> The same problem exists with OHCI and UHCI too.

A better solution would be to sort out the OHCI/UHCI/EHCI drivers so that
they can support more than one bus glue at any one time.  I think that's
been discussed in the past, and is certainly something that's going to be
required for the 'single zImage' project on ARM.

I suspect that's something for later though.